Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Avocado and Mango Chicken Salad


Feeding a 12 month old solids has been an adventure!  I have introduced Jadon to a lot of different fruits and vegetables.  He has liked everything but definitely has his favorites.  The hardest part has been trying to guess what he wants to eat when.  He will kill daddy's eggs on Sunday but when I try to give him eggs again on Wednesday, he won't even take a bite!

I had been feeding him whatever we have been eating and it has worked well for dinner, but breakfast and lunch has been difficult.  I typically drink a smoothie for breakfast and eat some type of salad for lunch.  He will have a few sips of my smoothie, but not enough for a meal and he isn't ready for salads yet.  So, I went  searching on the internet for fruit and veggie combinations.  I have been making chunky mixtures and freezing them in my Baby Bullet containers.  After they freeze I put them in a labeled freezer bag; I take out what I need the day before and defrost in fridge or on the counter.

I have found some interesting combinations that have led me to creating this recipe (well, I haven't seen it before so for me it is new).  I had planed on making chicken salad for lunch and I had a ripe mango and avocado that I needed to use.  I figured the avocado will give me the same creamy consistency as mayonnaise would but with more beneficial nutrients.


Servings : 1


Ingredients:

  • 1 Ripe Avocado 
  • 1/2 Mango
  • 1 - 2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Cilantro 
  • Ground Cayenne Pepper to Taste
  • 1 Chicken Breast or 3 Chicken Tenderloins
  • Salt and Pepper to Taste
  • Your Choice Leafy Greens (Romaine, Spring Mix, or Baby Spinach)
Directions:
  1. Cut avocado in half, remove seed, score each half, turn skins inside out, put pieces in a medium glass bowl, and mash with fork or potato masher.
  2. Peel and remove seed from a mango.  Cut up half the mango into small pieces and stir into avocado mash.
  3. Add cilantro and ground cayenne pepper to avocado and mango mixture.  (Add small amount of cayenne and taste, add more if not spicy enough.)
  4. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge to chill.
  5. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook in oven, grill, or toaster oven.
  6. Remove chicken and let cool for 10 minutes.
  7. Cut chicken into bite sized pieces.
  8. Add chicken to avocado/mango mixture.  (You can put mixture back in the fridge to chill some more or use it as is.)
  9. On a large plate, put salad greens of your choice and top with chicken salad. Garnish with more cilantro.   Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment