Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Georgia Aquarium

I am a huge fan of zoos and aquariums.  I grew up going to Brookfield Zoo and the Shedd Aquarium. My favorite thing to do a Brookfield Zoo was to watch the dolphin show.  I loved it so much that I dreamed of becoming a dolphin trainer when I grew up.  At the Shedd Aquarium ,it was watching the Beluga Whale show.  The Beluga Whale tank is right on Lake Michigan, so it looks like the whales are swimming in the lake.

This past Sunday, my Brother and Sister in law asked us if we would like to go with them to the Georgia Aquarium.  Absolutely!

The Aquarium is set up by different regions or water climates.  Cold Water Quest, Georgia Explorer, Ocean Voyager, River Scout, and Tropical Diver.  Each one is unique and beautiful in its own way.  I love watching the otters play and see the brilliant colors of the tropical fish.  Ocean Voyager is amazing with its four whale sharks and the only manta rays in the US, not to mention all the other fish in the exhibit.  It was great to see wildlife specific to Georgia showcased in the Georgia Explorer section.  
Josh and Jadon
at Ocean Voyager


The Aquarium was crowded, so navigating with a stroller was interesting and was hard to linger at a tank to fully take it in.  I would have loved to a few minutes really looking at each tank without any disruptions. 

We were at the Aquarium for half a day, so that meant I would have to nurse Jadon a few times. One time I was standing in the Ocean Voyager observation room and nursed Jadon standing up.  I use a Bebe au lait nursing cover and after over 3 months of nursing, I am not nervous about nursing in public.  I try to be discreet and respectful to those around me, but if I flash someone accidentally, oh well. 

Lionfish


I was enjoying myself and was thinking about my next visit to the Georgia Aquarium (we bought season passes) - I will be going during the week next time!  We decided to go to Taco Mac by the Georgia World Congress Center instead of eating at the Aquarium - $5 for a hotdog  - I rather get real food.  The walk over there was about 5 minutes or so and it was enjoyable since it was cooler Sunday. 

Stingray - In a shallow tank
so you can touch them
When we got back, we decided to by tickets to see the Dolphin Tales Show.  I was excited because I love dolphin shows!  BIG MISTAKE!!!  Don't waste your money!!!!  The seats are VERY uncomfortable and close together.  It was difficult to see what was going on at the front of the tank.  The performance centered around a man singing and telling his story.  I would have rather the dolphins be the center of the show.  The performance had great special affects, lights, sounds, wind blowing, water spouts, etc.  For how much money was spent on the auditorium, the show was very disappointing.  The only good thing was that a mom that sat next to me said that she was glad to see me nursing Jadon and wished more mothers would nurse in public. 

All in all, I liked the Georgia Aquarium and will go back (we have season passes), but I won't be going to the Dolphin Tales Show again.

No comments:

Post a Comment