Over the years I have compiled many drills to use with my teams. Recently I went through them because I wanted an easily accessible "drill book" to make practice planning more efficient. As I looked at the drills I asked myself the following questions.
- Is the drill gamelike? Yes - keep, no - throw out of adapt.
- Is the drill coach centered or player centered? I want my players to serve, hit, etc. at eachother, not me.
- Is there a type of scoring that can be used?
- Does the drill incorporate at least 2 skills (pass-set, set-hit, etc.)
- Will the drill teach players how to "read" the ball?
- Does the drill use the net?
- Does the drill involve all players or at least very little wait time?
- Can I use this drill in my "Competitive Cauldron?"
- Will all players develop skills other than what their position calls for? (Middle Hitters just might have to set during a match!)
- I also kept in mind John Kessel's article, 25 Questions for Volleyball Teachers and Coaches.
Take some time to check out the USA Volleyball Grassroots Page and go through your drills to see what changes can be made to make your drills more effective games.